Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Little Bit Baker: Birthday Waffles

Original recipe from How Sweet It Is

 My DD just turned 10 yesterday. (Double digits as she reminds me).
 "Breakfast In Bed" was a Briggs family tradition. This is something I've carried on to my own family.  This year I wanted to try my pinterest find... "Cake batter pancakes" (which I converted into "Birthday Waffles"). 

 They were fun to try, and not as sugary as you might think. Perfect for any Birthday breakfast!

Birthday Waffles

1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2/3 cup yellow cake mix
1 tablespoon sugar
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
pinch of salt
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup milk (can add up to an additional cup if needed)
2 T. canola oil
assorted sprinkles

Combine flour, cake mix, baking powder, sugar and salt in a bowl and mix. Add 1 cup of milk, egg, oil and vanilla extract and stir until smooth. You want the batter to look like regular pancake/waffle  batter; not too thin, not too thick. This will vary greatly on the brand of cake mix you use. Start with 1 cup of milk and add more if needed. I suggest a small taste test as well to see if the pancakes are flavored enough.
Preheat a skillet or waffle iron on medium heat Fold desired amount of sprinkles into batter. Pour batter in 1/4 cup measurements onto skillet or waffle iron. Cook until golden brown. Serve with vanilla glaze.

Glaze
1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 tablespoon milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
assorted sprinkles
Mix milk, extract and powdered sugar until glaze forms. You may need to add a little more sugar or water/milk to reach desired consistency. Mix into glaze and drizzle on pancakes.


0 Little Bit People Said...:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment! I love hearing from you :)